Exterior Of The Office Building Of McDowell & Morrissette, PA
A Manchester Personal Injury Law Firm

Claiming lost wages after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Jan 7, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

When you’re injured in a car accident in New Hampshire, your financial plans are turned upside down. You have to figure out how you’re going to pay for your medical bills and vehicle repairs as well as legal bills if you decide to hire an attorney. To make matters worse, you might have to take time off work while you’re recuperating from your injuries. How can you pay off your bills if you can’t go back to work immediately?

Can you claim lost income after an accident?

If you’re thinking about filing a car accident claim, you should know that you can claim lost income on top of your other damages. However, you’ll have to gather evidence that proves that you’ve lost income because of your injuries. To make your case, you’ll have to get a doctor’s note that states that you’ve been unable to work after your MVA. You should also collect financial documents like pay stubs and tax returns as well as a letter from your employer that confirms that you work there.

Once you’ve gathered this information, you’ll have to calculate the amount of income that you’ve lost. If you’re an hourly worker, you can simply take your hourly wage and add up the number of hours that you would have worked if you hadn’t been injured. If you’re a freelancer or contractor, you can use invoices and tax returns to estimate how much you would have made if you hadn’t had the accident.

After gathering proof and financial documents, it’s time to talk to an attorney about filing a claim. You might be eligible for a payout that covers the wages that you’ve lost after your accident. The settlement might also cover your medical bills, vehicle expenses and legal fees.

Do you need an attorney when you file a claim?

If the other driver had insurance, you might be able to file a claim with their insurance company. If not, you might have to sue the other driver to receive a payout. In any case, an attorney could help you file a claim.